Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Family Tours of Alaska


Alaska is for families who enjoy the outdoors, and are looking for some active fun. A wide range of activities can accommodate all ages. Unique experiences like trekking on a glacier, or catching a wild salmon will become stories retold with excitement. The vacation becomes a learning experience as you discover the stories behind the musher and sled dog team, or the riverboat captain, or the bush pilot.
For the best learning experience family groups should travel with a guide. Choose an Alaskan company that hires Alaskan guides. You'll learn, see and do more through the eyes of locals. Often you can work with these smaller companies to arrange a custom itinerary, exclusively for your family.
Alaska on a budget is more sightseeing and less activities. Decide what is important and work around that. The more popular activities rates average $150 half-day salmon fishing, $275 all-day halibut charter, $275 flightsee denali and land on a glacier, $80 river raft, $75 glacier trek, $65 sled dog tour, $145 Kenai Fjords Wildlife and glacier cruise...per person. Multiply that by the number in your family and that's just the cost of the activities. There are also small attraction fees for some of the recommended wildlife and native centers, there is the cost of meals, lodgings, and transportation. As a tour operator I often here requests for hiking, hiking, hiking. Let me tell you that most hiking is more than the average visitor envisions. Trails generally lead up the side of a mountain and often through wilderness, where wild animals live! It's not recommended without a guide.
If you're more concerned with the adventure than the budget - Alaska will not only meet but exceed your expectations. There really are limitless adventures such as those offered at http://www.alaskantour.com
It is not easy travel with or for younger children, especially toddlers and infants. Ideally 10 years and older can enjoy most of the activities offered comfortably. It's not impossible to travel with younger children in Alaska, but it requires more consideration and a bit more logistically. Work with a guide so your trip is a success.

3 comments:

aidasign said...

Alaska it's interesting destination, especially in winter season. Here you can view few sled dog races or you can participate on the trials. Yes, for little children I cannot recommend Alaska.

Unknown said...

Personally I think it all depends on the children. My own parents took me to Alaska when I was rather young. I, for one, enjoyed taking in the local cuisine and things (like sled dog races) I would never have seen at home.

Roxanne Rook | www.hacienda-wasilla.com

Unknown said...

This would be absolutely ideal for me and my kids. I want to take my kids somewhere new, but I don't want to do an expensive trip where the only source of entertainment is shopping. I want my kids to get out into the wild and experience something. | http://kissalaska.com